Friday, August 1, 2008

Tufts trip #235 (One way!!!!!!)

I drove up to Tufts yesterday for what I thought was going to be a simple chemo treatment. Little did I know that a nuclear bone scan was scheduled. And even littler did I know that after a nuclear bone scan, you have to spend the night because you are RADIOACTIVE!!!!

So here I am, in the exotic ward with a ferret, a chicken, a bunny, an african grey parrot and an eclectus parrot, waiting for 00F to come take me home to my barn. (I actually miss it!! Can you believe it???) The parrots are fun to talk to, but as soon as they finish dinner, all they care about is falling asleep in front of the TV. So as I wait very patiently, for 00F to get me out of here, I will spend this time productively by catching up on my blog.

(Memo to Gremlin Baby: I actually type with my bill. You seem like a nice guy, so I am sure that you won't make any "hunt and peck" jokes!!!)
So, for my medically-minded readers, here's a computer-enhanced version of my bone scan. You can see the osteo-sarcoma lesion on my left leg.
And before you say "Oh my God, Boswell!!!!!! That must hurt like @#$#@!!!!!," I should tell you I'd rather have a little pain in my thigh than be sitting in a large pot of boiling water surrounded by carrots and bay leaves -- any day!!

Dr. Mayer was pretty happy that my bone looked okay, that the lesion had not grown significantly, and that it did not appear to have spread anywhere else. And if Dr. Mayer is happy, I am ROFL.

There was one number on my labs that puzzled him: my cholesterol was over 1000! I hope that this does not result in a misguided search of my beloved 48" Liebherr side-by-side refrigerator & freezer combo. And if someone finds the 17 quarts of Chubby Hubby... Woglinde -- can we pretend it's yours??????


Awwwww!!!!! Here's a cute picture of me (in front), Andrea Bergeron (V '09, on left), and Dr. DeCubellis (right). Dr. DeCubellis had just played a prank on me when I wasn't looking and made a huge mess of arugula leaves around my bowl.

Dr. DeCubellis, nice try, but everyone knows my table manners are perfect!!!!!





This is me waiting for 00F to come get me.

Hmm. What is that blue thing around my neck?!?!?!??!?!??!

Shheesh!!!! I told that parrot that I did NOT want to wear his goofy bandanna!!!! I guess this is play-a-joke-on-Boswell day!!!!

OOF, if you are reading this, I am really ready to come home!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Boswell,

We hope you ar home (in your lovely barn) and feeling much better. We all are thinking about you. Sending get well wishes!

PS You look great!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Honk,

Oops, I mean Boswell! I just had a glass of wine, and it is very amusing reading a goose's weblog after a glass of wine. No offense of course. It's just not everyday that I find a goose's weblog.

I am sorry to read about your diagnosis. I am an osteosarcoma survivor like yourself. I had a bone tumor in my arm. So anyway, I have been spending about 60 hours a week volunteering with Team Sarcoma this year. We just had a host of events all over the world, and we are about to put a big press release out. I'll make sure to send you a link as soon as it flies...I mean as soon as it is published. I see that you have made it big in the press. Perhaps you can put in a word for us with NPR or something. We aren't as popular as you are with the media yet!

As you know (because you are such a smart radioactive goose like myself...a smart radioactive human), sarcoma is very rare, and the treatments for it aren't any fun. Have they told you that you'll need surgery? Mine took 8 hours...OUCH. Anyway, a lot of young adults, cats, children, dogs, older people, and evidently GEESE (this I did not know) are suffering with this disease. If you ever want to champion a cause, please consider us. We need all of the help we can get from all of our friends, furry, feathered or otherwise. Perhaps you will participate in an event during Team Sarcoma next July, after you've full recovered from all of this.

Much hope to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Dear Boswell,

I am glad your vet is happy. If he is happy, I will ROFL with you.

Tonight I will raise a bowl of water with lettuces in honor of good vets everywhere.

XOXOX,

Mr Flapper Duck

Anonymous said...

Boz -

I tried to raise the water bowl but it was heavy so I just cleaned out my snout nares in the water in honor of the good veterinarians instead.

Quacks and honks,

Mr Flapper Duck

Anonymous said...

What Mr. Flapper said -- if the doc is happy, I'm happy.

You look sweet in the bandana. Blue is a good color for you.

So, let's hear it, Bos. Did he get you the stereo yet?

Unknown said...

bos..that bandana is quite adorable......not that you need anything aside from your natural goose "ish" good looks.. but it adds a little something extra..!

Anonymous said...

bos how the heck are u? are you sure you are not going to retitle this blog to "the weekly honk?" haha i hope this finds well...and enjoying all this wet weather...its tres goose friendly thou right????

Anonymous said...

um that anonymous comment was your auntie laur boz...my bad...didn't mean to be anonymous..!